Monday, April 8, 2013

Car Wars pocket box edition out in PDF

For those of you who don't follow the Steve Jackson Games Daily Illuminator, you might have missed this:

Car Wars is out in PDF

It's the little pocket box version, with a 64-page rulebook and 100 or so counters.


Pretty cool. Car Wars was the first SJG game I ever played, followed later by Ogre, then Man-to-Man, then GURPS. I still have all of my old Car Wars stuff (plus a replacement set of counters I got used, after my originals mysteriously disappeared en masse.) I'm looking forward to the new version of Car Wars but it's cool to think you can play the old for for $6 plus some printing time.

5 comments:

  1. I'll have to find it and check, but $6 is about what I paid for my pocket box edition back in '83 or '84. The cost of progress, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I wonder what a pocket box game would really cost these days. I paid all of $12 for my Fiend Folio back in the back, and $12 hardback game books are gone now.

      Delete
  2. This is not the "original version" of the game as advertised on e23. The zip-loc baggie and/or black pocket box game you bought was something different.

    The set for sale there has rules that are a subset of the Compendium second edition. I'd have to check my stuff, but I don't think it has the three inch drop rule for ram resolution or the grenades that miss or the ten phase movement chart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine with me though. You get trucks and such in this one, and some cleaned up rules.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah... me, too. This is probably the best presentation the game ever got. (There are no 18 wheelers in that box, though. Just cars and cycles.)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...