Tuesday, September 9, 2014

GURPS 4th Edition Turns 10 with . . . me

Steve Jackson Games put up the Daily Illuminator I wrote about GURPS Fourth Edition.

GURPS Fourth Turns 10 With . . . Peter Dell'Orto

Woo, I'm a famous author!

I realize this makes me a big fish in a small pond, which in itself only part of the tiny pond called "table top RPGs." But that'll do. I write for the games I've been playing since I was nine years old and people around the world use, or riff off of, the rules I've written. I've got a guest post up on the homepage of a company whose games, Car Wars, Ogre, and GURPS, kept me entertained for more hours that I could count. I think that's pretty good as far as getting somewhere with your hobby.

I hope my brief words on GURPS Fourth Edition are being read by someone who, in the future, will be where I am - looking back on the past and saying, yeah, this was my hobby and now I'm part of other people's enjoyment of the hobby, too.



And that career change? I got tired of working IT and hating my life and telling myself the money was worth it and turned to teaching ESL and being a personal trainer. I moved to Japan, started competing in MMA, learned a new language, and went from "I hate work" to "give me as many clients or classes as you can, this is fun." And a company I once worked for now spits my book back as a result when you search my name on its website. That beats re-booting the freaking router any day.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My life has been building up to a Huzzah! from the TBC. That's not so bad, I suppose. ;)

      Delete
  2. One day...I'll be where you are now. One day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just write a book already! Geez!

      Delete
    2. I keep trying but I keep getting told "not yet." So...I'mma a waiting. I could write a dozen books in a year if they let me. Hell, I have half a dozen sitting on my harddrive right now.

      Delete
    3. If it makes you feel better, I've gotten a lot of "not yet"s, too, some after I was already a published author!

      Delete
    4. The past year and a half or so has been one big "not yet." My book currently going through the process was initially proposed...lemmie see...March of 2012.

      Delete
    5. Wow. I hope I don't have to wait that long. :-(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...